If you are looking for a fun summertime drink keg, here’s how to make one out of a watermelon. These are great for barbecues, picnics, and parties.
You’ll need an immersion blender or a drill with and an adjustable chuck and beater from an electric hand mixer.
Here are the steps:
1. Cut a thin slice from the bottom of the watermelon rind (but not into the flesh) so the watermelon will sit upright.
2. Carve out a circle in the top of the watermelon to make a lid (like you would when carving a jack-o’-lantern).
3. Next, ready your immersion blender or drill. Set the watermelon in the sink (to avoid splashes). Remove the lid and insert an immersion blender inside. Gently push and move the immersion blender down and around in the watermelon to puree the center. Puree almost all the flesh, leaving a thin wall of flesh lining the rind. Pour the pureed juice out of the watermelon into a bowl (you should have between 6 and 7 cups).
4. To prepare with a drill: Fasten one beater from an electric hand mixer to the tip of a drill and tighten the chuck. Set the watermelon in the sink (to avoid splashes) and push the beater into the flesh. Gently push and move the beater down and around in the watermelon to puree the center. As more of the watermelon becomes pureed, move the beater to the sides to puree almost all of the flesh, leaving a thin wall of flesh lining the rind. Pour the pureed juice out of the watermelon, and strain, discarding any pulp and seeds; you should have between 6 and 7 cups of strained juice.
5. Insert a tap in the empty watermelon according to the package directions.
6. Pour in the watermelon juice or whatever beverage you choose. mix you would like into the watermelon and top with the lid.
7. Refrigerate until the watermelon/punch inside are well chilled, at least 2 hours.
Share this summer recipe with your family and friends!